Tuesday 19 June 2012

Gillespie and I - Jane Harris


We say: *****

I have to confess to having bought Jane Harris' first book - The Observations - as an act of confusion (deliberate from the part of the publishing house I am sure) between her and Joanne Harris, of Chocolat fame.
The font was similar, the type of cover...anyways....I bought it but wasn’t terribly impressed. There was something in her prose that was enticing but didn't quite shine for me.
So why did I go and buy her second one is anyone's guess...

Glad i did though. This one is a tour de force!
I found the main character purposefully un-identifiable, those meddling older ladies that keep getting under everyone's feet.... until you start to read the hidden narrative.
Half way through the book you start figuring out that what you are reading on the pages is not quite the full story and you dust off the detective inside you - that had been in hibernation since the last Stieg Larsson's - and you start deciphering the story behind the story.

It’s those kind of books you can't wait to pass on to someone else to read, without telling them the secret and wait for them to find it out by themselves.
Such fun!


No comments:

Post a Comment